One things I've always thought to be a bit unfair is seeing everyone's successes and not their failures. Failure (AKA the journey to success) is just as important as the end result. Without further ado, the dead trees!
I dug both of these Live Oaks up in the late Spring and I definitely didn't do it right. Didn't wait for rain in the previous month, the rootball fell apart when I dug it up, and I barely got any fine roots. Too bad, they had some good trunks on them.
These Olive cuttings that I took off my own tree didn't go anywhere. I'm not sure if I kept too many leaves, took it at the wrong time (Spring), should've stripped the leaves, or kept it too wet, but nonetheless they didn't root.
I dug up 4 large Pyracantha bushes in late Spring/early Summer and two made it and two didn't. I also got a few small rooted shoots and I killed 2 of the 3.
This guy below me is dead as well.
This Cotoneaster as well as 3 more all died. These poor fellas.
Barberry is dead. I got a rooted cutting off of it that I still have, so the legacy lives on.
This one got almost no water over my vacation and rather than trying the scratch test and watering it, I threw it away in my rage. The one I didn't throw away came back......so whoops.
Another dead Cotoneaster.
This Azalea that was heat tolerant came back twice, but apparently twice was the charm.
Besides my 3 failed air-layers (stupid dog...) on my Japanese Maple, I did this one that stayed on but ended up bridging the gap between the cuts and I took it off and ret severed the connection. Hopefully with a large pot and Akadama it will take.
The totals so far this year are the following:
Cotoneasters - 5
Pyracantha - 4
Chinese Elm - 2
Azalea - 3
Barberry - 1
Olive - 3
Oak - 2
Juniper Yamadori - 2
Nana Junipers - 2
Total Kill Count - 19
Green thumbs come with black thumbs. Don't get discouraged, just keep your head up and keep killing!